- Join Our Network
- Provider Updates
- Find a Provider
- Pharmacy Tools
- Forms and Reference Materials
- FQHC/RHC: Guidelines and Resources
- Medical Policies
- Quality Improvement: Guidelines and Resources
- Gateway to Practitioner Excellence®
- Model Of Care
- Provider Manual
- Provider Newsletters
- Medicare Compliance
- Reportable Conditions
- Payment Policies
- Contact Provider Services
- Coverage Requests, Complaints & Appeals
- Health & Wellness
- About Us
- Contact Us
Flossing the Right Way
Brushing is great. But without flossing you’re missing 35% of each tooth's surface!
So you’re brushing twice a day. Awesome! But did you know that brushing alone won't keep your mouth clean? Proper dental flossing reaches those areas your toothbrush can't, like between your teeth and under the gum line.
5 steps to frustration-free flossing:
- Select the right dental floss for you. Ask your dentist for recommendations. Waxed floss generally slides a little easier.
- Loosely wrap 18 inches of dental floss around your middle fingers until you have about 2 inches left between your fingers.
- Hold floss firmly between your thumbs and index fingers. Gently slide the floss in a "C-shape" up and down between your teeth, working it beneath the gum line on both sides.
- Move to a clean section of floss and repeat until you have cleaned around each tooth.
- Rinse your mouth with water or an antibacterial mouthwash.
WATCH: Learn more about proper flossing technique in our quick video
Want to learn more about taking care of your mouth?